Friday, October 11, 2019

CrossFit Open 20.1: Visiting the Realm of RX plus Following Up

So I did a thing... I RX'ed 20.1.  For RX, it was the following: 10 rounds of 8 ground-to-overheads at 65 lbs (snatch or clean & jerk acceptable as long as I lock out on top) plus 10 bar-facing burpees (both feet must leave ground at the same time when I actually jump over the bar) with a 15 minute time cap.

I had an amazing judge who also allowed me to be her judge as a practice for in case I actually have to judge other athletes.  She also put up one heck of a fight in the SX division!

And of course, Killer Parakeet had to poke his head up a bit.  Killer gave it 0 out of 10 stars, but I thought I did pretty darned well at RX by getting well into my 8th round!  Then again, Killer tends NOT to enjoy CrossFit Opens very much.  I didn't vomit or feel sick, and I didn't wind up in Xibalba or Tuonela even if I did taunt the Lords of Xibalba and the Swan of Tuonela quite a bit!


And then after watching my snatch and clean & jerk form go to heck in the name of CrossFit speed, Coach J gave me some accessory work for me to do to help me cool down and exit the hybrid Ranger / Barbarian state of mind that allowed me to do so well in this workout.  Coach J knows VERY well what can happen if I don't do something about the Barbarian Rage courtesy of me acquiring a level of Barbarian once upon a time, and he also knows that my levels of Bard have helped temper the Ranger quite a bit. 

I was able to get some work on re-educating my body on positioning and speed, including some buildup into squat jerk after working on some drop snatches, all at very light weights just to help get things to calm down.





And then there was the work leading up to squat jerks because they are much more forgiving than split jerks, plus Coach J thinks that I have the build and temperment that's much better suited for power / squat jerks along with a significantly reduced risk of injury. I am favoring squat jerks because that's one less degree of freedom for me to worry about in getting the bar overhead.



No comments: