Tuesday, October 08, 2019

Corrective Drills: Drop Snatch and Jerk Drive

So as part of my quest to improve my snatches and clean & jerks, Coach J has given me drills such as deficit deadlifts / pulls, tall cleans, tall/drop snatches, jerk dips, jerk drives, and tall jerks.  He's been amazing at giving me insights and feedback even when he can't be there physically (usually because he's either tied up with another athlete / class / family), and has done wonders for me when other coaches have had smoke coming out of their ears.


The drop snatch is to help me drop down under the bar faster and hopefully catch lower as well as improving my footwork.  I tend to catch the bar really high, although I think my issues do arise from earlier in the lift due to questionable positioning during the pulls.  However, it never hurts to work on simply dropping under the bar.


The jerk drive is to help me dip and drive the bar from the front rack position, so approximately half of the jerk.  It's gotten better, but I do have a tendency to not be very explosive on my upward drive and not very smooth on my dip.  This drill also helps me reinforce better starting position, particularly with the low and outward elbows as well as making sure my shoulders are up and my core is properly braced.  I do tend to have some difficulty with the transition from the jerk drive into dropping underneath the bar, but first, we're working on my initial positioning to get some more consistency there. 

No comments: