Friday, December 27, 2019

Drills and More Drills!

So today, I got some solid weightlifting form drills in with Coach V today. I do miss Coach J's mix of infectious energy, insane genius, broad technical background, and enchanting singing, but Coach V also has a very solid technical background and is also very patient with those of us who need more time to process and occasionally struggle with verbal directions.

Today we focused on form, with an emphasis on engaging the lats throughout, especially at the thigh to force improved leg drive.  Results? I caught the bar lower and didn't feel as much of my typical piece-wise function.  Now the rest of what Coach J has been teaching me has become much easier to execute properly!


And then there was work on clean and jerk.  Thank goodness Coach V was quite aware that I'm a squat jerker!  My cleans tend to be a lot more effective, but I was able to integrate the cues I had from Coach J with some of the new materials I got today, and I think things got a little less piecewise.  My jerks suffered a bit from being fatigued from this morning's WOD plus some archery drills I did, but the cleans are getting to look, well, cleaner.


Besides barbell, I also did the CrossFit Iron Legion baseline workout.  Suffice to say, it's been so long since I did it that we didn't have any verifiable record of me actually doing it.  My time today: 5:35 for a 400 meter run, 40 air squats, 30 sit-ups, 20 strict push-ups, and 20 burpees, with me completing the run in just under 1:50.  The first time I did it, it took me over 10 minutes to do it, and I think a couple years ago, I was still pushing 8 minutes.


And the best part of today... archery drills.  Amusingly enough, this is how I found my lats a little more accurately! I had some trouble with premature releases, plucking, and maintaining back-tension throughout, so I ended up going back to blank baling and using the Form-Master to correct my form. 


Pre-corrective drills blank baling... I'm having a lot of creep forward...


Corrective drill with the Form-Master to address back-tension issues...

Post-corrective drills... release has gotten cleaner and there's significantly less "creep forward".  


No comments: