Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Paines Prairie: A Walk Through Ecological Contrasts

So I managed to bugger up my knee last week, and at the recommendation of my fellow athletes and mentor, I decided to not do too much flexion, running, or anything else that has a significant risk of tearing or inflaming my already torn knees any further.  That being said, I can't sit still for too long, or I risk losing everything I have worked for!

My first stop was Paines Prairie State Park, which I had visited previously, but it was hard to get any real exploration in during the heat of summer at the peak of mosquito season with family. However, as a soloist in the winter with a grand total of a dozen mosquitoes to annoy me, it was the perfect opportunity to enjoy some desperately needed solitude.  I do have many amazing folks whose company I enjoy and would have been honored to have had with me, but at the same time, I need my solitude first and foremost before I can handle any human interaction.















































































































And then there was an intermission for lunch before I went to the Sweetwater Branch Park, which is an artificial wetlands ecosystem to help treat water prior to its release back into the ecosystem.  It's at the south end of Gainesville on the northern edge of Paines Prairie.  I didn't move particularly quickly because it was so darned people-y there, but it was certainly worth the visit!























































































































My third and final location was the Boulware Springs entrance of the Gainesville-Hawthorne Trail, which brushes against the northern borders of Paines Prairie and the eastern borders of the Sweetwater Wetlands.  This is also where I can catch the La Chua trail, which has finally re-opened, and I had some extremely rare opportunities to get very close to wildlife as well as watch the early stages of a sunset. 

























































No comments: