Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Fenrir's Mayhem WODs 1 and 2

Before I post any pictures from my own WODs from Fenrir's, I want to give a couple of huge shout-outs to a few of my buddies from my CrossFit Iron Legion family... First and foremost, there's T. Harris, who has pretty much been the fellow athlete who has been pulling me along after we ran into each other at a Member's Mayhem and decided that we got along well... plus she helped me find my other ride-or-die buddy, A. Gray-Baker (who hasn't really been photographed much). 



Then there's Coach A. Ford, the "Lion of Iron Legion", a wise beyond his years young man who always encourages me onwards even when things are looking rather grim.  He's been the coach I work with for general conditioning, although he's attempted to work with me in Olympic weightlifting with entertaining results.



And then my two Olympic weightlifting mentors, T. Dreaver and J. Philyaw, who have both believed in me as both a CrossFitter and Olympic weightlifter.  T. Dreaver was the one who first welcomed me to CrossFit Iron Legion and got me started on learning snatch and clean & jerk, while J. Philyaw has been a mix of mentor and someone who has helped me realize that there ARE others like me outside of Caltech. 



WOD 1 for me was the one where I apparently dominated even though I felt like I was going at a comfortable pace. This was a 13 minute AMRAP that involved a buy-in of a 400 meter run with a hammer and a 10 lb plate, followed by as many rounds as possible of 150 meter row, 5x65 lb thrusters, 50 foot sled push, 15x35 lb kettlebell swings, and 50 foot sled pull... with a 200 meter run with the hammer and plate at minute 6 before going back. 












Then there was WOD 2, where I took a huge hit on my rankings because I am *terrified* of box jumps, especially on a hard box and being much more focused on form (although I did struggle after just about peeing myself in terror at box jumps) than weight on my snatches.  This is where the training from Coach J kicked in after a few initial rough reps and all I could think of were cues such as "chest up", "knees back", and "explode at the pocket".  Even though my execution was rough on some of the early snatches, I can say that my form did come in eventually. 






Below, I threw the bar too far forward because I rowed the bar in and did the giddy-up motion that Coach J has been pretty good about removing from me most of the time. 




I had a much better pull on this snatch...

I still catch very high though!


No comments: