Saturday, September 28, 2019

X3 Championship Meet

It all started about a week and a half ago when the head Viking at my gym made a very passionate speech about the lack of CrossFit Iron Legion members competing... and then approaching me about this being a very local competition for me to try and showcase what I have learned from Coach J. It's VERY well-known that I have made some massive leaps and bounds in my snatch and clean & jerk despite the low 1RMs I have had.  Anyway... fast forward to today.

I did receive a bit of a devastating text from Coach J indicating that he had a family emergency he had to attend, but all through the day, he would message me with a mixture of cues, tips, and general reassurance and encouragement that I would do well.  Even from afar, he was basically walking me through and practically holding my hand and pretty much being there for me.

My high school English teacher buddy didn't know how to operate my camera to film, but she got a few good shots of me anyway on my 33 kg snatch.



The Bear then got my other two snatches, a successful 33 kg snatch and a spectacularly failed 36 kg snatch.




And then there were the clean and jerks.  I was only successful on the opener of 43 kg.  I got a little ambitious and went partway between how I was actually feeling and the plan that Coach J and I came up with for my jumps on Monday.  One thing I really love about Coach J is that he also trusts me with any choices and changes I make as well as giving me a rationale for why he recommends something for me. Plus he has a great way of helping me integrate music, martial arts, archery, and engineering into my lifting and training in general.




My cleans are significantly more reliable than my jerks.  I do have some issues with dropping under the bar quickly enough, and that is something that Coach J will be working on heavily with me. A lot of my issue seems to be a timing / rhythm issue lower down in the lift, so we will be addressing it soon. I suspect I will be getting a lot of dropping under work along with figuring out an optimal rhythm for my early pulls based on my natural balance and quirks.







And just for fun, I played with a Hercules hold again!




No comments: