Monday, September 02, 2019

Adventure in Music: Going Outside of the Romantic Era

It's pretty well-known that I have a very strong preference for piano music in the Romantic era with composers such as Grieg, Chopin, and Mussorgsky. I decided to explore something a bit more contemporary recently, partially because I found something online semi-randomly while searching for something else, partially because something is a bit unhappy and needs something less technically demanding.  So I stumbled across the Love Theme from Romeo and Juliet.  Usually projects like this make me slightly nauseous because I thoroughly despise most Shakespeare, especially that awful play I had to read and analyze in 9th grade. However, I also took it as a challenge to explore expression and mild improvisation... and here's the first take that didn't result in any of the following: camera falling, incoming phone call messing with the recording, or muscle cramp.


Today is an absolute rest day from the rigors of CrossFit after realizing I went a straight week plus change without any rest, and I have had at least two coaches and my nutritionists get on me about that.  Then tomorrow, barring unfortunate circumstances, it's back to corrective and supplemental drills, Olympic weightlifting, and of course, the CrossFit WODs themselves.

No comments: