Sunday, September 22, 2019

Pre-Competition Preparation 1/n

So Coach J did give me a really good outline of how to get ready for the upcoming Super Total X3 Competition. I'm only doing the Olympic weightlifting portion, but that is already a very tall order for me. There's also powerlifting and strongman as well as an award for someone who can do all three, but not at this point. Maybe next time, if I can ever get enthused about bench press and handling items of questionable sanitation.

Part of my preparation include doing 3x3 of my big lifts plus squats, all at around 50%, as well as my usual warmup drills to get things moving and remembering my position and timing.

My snatch is still struggling, and I did my lifts before Coach J showed up, but I did get to talk with him, and as always, he had some great insights. He didn't get to really work with me today, but I will be seeing him tomorrow morning for greater in-depth work.


And then there's the clean and jerk, which I did singly because it's a more fatiguing lift, plus my ride-or-die training buddy, who has shifted her focus to gymnastics to become a true CrossFitter and eventually qualify for the CrossFit Games, came around to give me some feedback based on what she's observed of me. Plus she did remind me of several of the cues from Coach J because sometimes, I'm more likely to listen to a fellow master's female athlete who is just as tenacious as I can be...





I really do find that I'm learning far more from Coach J than my last 3-4 coaches combined across 5-6 years, but then again, I think it has a lot to do with the mixed martial arts / music / dance / engineering background with the correct cues that work with my brain.  I still have a tendency to row the barbell in, but after talking to him after doing these lifts, it sounds like that can still be addressed without too much of a battle by adjusting my rhythm a bit.  This should be interesting in the morning...

I also did some blank-baling work yesterday as part of a plan to help calm my mind down, keep me active, and maybe gain some insights on some of my lifting quirks.


No comments: