Monday, April 21, 2008

A Hard Night's Work

Unfortunately this is the only picture came through. We (at the invitation of two of our friends) went out to Lake George to do some bow-fishing. I'd happily bow-fishing again and hopefully I can catch more than three fish in about five hours!

Next time I go fishing, here's what I'd change:
1) Take a bow I can actually draw quickly. My other half had me shooting a compound that was nearly as old as I am. On one hand, if it were still targets, I wouldn't have had any problems with this bow because it was a pretty light draw weight. On the other hand, I'm shooting moving targets from a moving air-boat and the slowest part of the shot for me is getting past that initial wall. If I had enough warning, I could get to about a 26" draw, where I enter the let-off valley and can hold my shot. The bows that my other half and I were using were actually for a 29" draw but then again, we snap-shoot at fish, so it wasn't much of an issue. I really need to build up more strength so I can draw much faster -- I draw pretty slowly on compounds no matter how low the weight is even if I can draw a 55 lb longbow with no trouble!
2) Take a bow-fishing rig that I can actually operate. I spent most of my time either untangling myself or trying to reel the arrow back in.
3) Take a light-weight Gore-Tex jacket. Unlike my companions, I'm a 145 lb weakling with microscopic bones and do feel the cold a lot sooner!
4) Take my own head-light that actually fits on my head. I tried their equipment but even after adjusting the straps to as small as possible, their stuff keeps falling down and covers my eyes. Apparently I've got a tiny thimble-head too! Darn genetics and that extra X chromosome that programmed me to have less muscle mass/strength!
5) Keep a bucket on board the boat. Unlike my fishing companions, I have that extra X chromosome that also forces me to squat down to take care of certain functions. I avoided this situation by running a bit dry and eating much less than I normally would, but whew, that caused other problems

I need to go bow-fishing again at some point so I can replenish my protein supply until it's deer season again!

No comments: