Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Blowin' Off Steam

In theory I should be working on that darn land tenure term paper, but in practice, I needed my time to conduct photosynthesis and get some exercise on top of my standardized workouts on the bike, treadmill and weights! I don't think I'm really built for long periods of inactivity. So I thought I'd do something a bit different today, after realizing that I do get a much better upper back workout with the compound than anything else, at least given the equipment I have around. So yeah, 248/280 and not having shot field in ages, I can't really complain when I peaked out at around 255/280 at my best in half-field. I think a friend of mine is right -- whichever bow I ultimately dedicate myself to, I can easily become really deadly. Of course, being someone who tends to rotate among bows and is about as impulsive as a kender from the Dragonlance world, that's going to be tough :P

This was at 20 yards using the Wildcat caliper release. I guess my other half was right about that for me... and he's only seen me shoot compound on a handful of occasions! As much as I enjoy shooting the Sweet Spot 4 back-tension release, I think I prefer my Wildcat caliper. I also had a pretty good scare with the Sweet Spot today. Suffice to say at least one person in the family would throw the world's biggest hissy fit if I didn't make my Reflex saving throw.

This was at 35 yards. True, the targets are a bit bigger than the standard NFAA, but heck, it feels great when all 4 arrows are in there, even if one's a line-cutter!

Talk about a bimodal distribution from 55 yards! I wasn't sure if I interpolated correctly given I knew roughly where the 50 yard marking on my sight tape was but didn't have a correction for the 60 yard marking. Apparently 2 shots I did the same thing and the other 2 I did the same but different thing!

Not bad for a first cut to calibrate 60 yards to see! I was probably about 3-4 yards high on my guess but given it was towards the end of practice, there may be a lot of other confounding factors. I noticed that as I got more and more tired, I tended to shoot with a high right bias... So I'll have to try this again.

Crunch!!! This was at 40 yards. I heard several crunching noises that suggested arrows smacking each other when I was working on my 40 yard calibration. It really helps when I can actually see the target and apparently I'm doing something right! So now I have 3 arrows that need nocks and nock collars replaced -- the shafts seemed to be ok, but I think I'm going to have someone check to make sure.

I wonder how much muscle growth I'll get to enjoy if I can keep up with consistent weight training given my questionable genetics that also has me stuck with a 24-25" draw length and tiny bones that at high risk for osteoporosis along with an extra X chromosome. Right now I measured about 9.25 inches circumference at the biggest point when I flex. Ok, so my bathroom is a bit messy, but I'll take care of it after finals I swear! My biceps look ok but the rest of my muscles certainly need a lot more work!

No comments: