Thursday, December 13, 2007

Another use for Serenoa repens

Besides making for great kindling and an even better way of tearing things up, S. repens and many similar-looking Sabal species (which don't tear things up as readily) also make for a great ground-blind. The ground blind was actually pretty neat because we were on the ground and much close to eye-level with our quarry. This also meant we (or at least I) had to remain a whole lot more still, but at the same time, it also meant that I didn't have to worry about falling out of a tree-stand! I do like the view from the tree-stand a lot more because I do enjoy looking down, but the ground-blind certainly has its own appeal to me too. We didn't see anything today, unless you count the annoying little squirrels and rabbits that don't quite make for much of a meal. I was really hoping to see either some hogs or maybe a buck that was at least a 6-pointer, but oh well, part of the fun of hunting is the uncertainty and getting to enjoy being in the wilderness. I can see why my friend/mentor spends so much time out in the woods -- now if I can only convince some of my colleagues that time in the woods is far healthier for me than these horrible places downtown that they like to lurk in and that the Ranger cannot thrive on computers, books and socializing alone but must be free to roam about outdoors in the wilds and be given a chance to stalk prey of some sort.





No comments: