Sunday, April 01, 2007

What the Frequency... ???

There's a lot of things that I've been observing of late and make me ask "What the frequency...?" (note: yes, I actually use that word in place of more entertaining words to avoid getting myself into trouble)

1) Impractical female attire. So two of my favorite pairs of field cargo pants (one khaki, one faded army camouflage) got destroyed in a rather embarassing accident and I looked at possible replacements for them for when I'm in the field. I do have a pair of really nice desert camouflage and a really nice pair of hunting pants, but what I miss about the two pants I inadvertently destroyed beyond repair is that even in really hot weather, they still keep me cool. I did a quick search to see if I could find anything and for some reason, all of the female stuff was either ridiculously tight or wouldn't handle the rigors of sand pine scrub and/or saw palmetto underbrush. I never understood why female attire has to be so restrictive on movement and/or exposes my big butt-crack, gut, and anything else I need covered to protect me from bugs and vegetation. And then there's the shoes -- why is it so hard to find a decent pair of shoes that'll let me jog, hike, and keep my full mobility without going to a pricey sporting goods/military surplus store? There's a reason why I almost always get my clothing from the men's department or sporting goods! It's also next to impossible to have good, deep durable pockets in female attire -- I like keeping everything on me when I can't take my backpack with me. I can't ever stomach the thought of carrying a purse -- it's too easy to lose, it attracts far too much attention, and the compartments don't fit my tools very well and personally, I think it's cruel and unusual punishment to have to use one for lack of pockets in clothing. I like my camo-green fanny pack much better, even if it clashes with interview attire. At least I'll be able to catch potential thieves, it'll always stay on me, and it gives me full mobility. And then there's the really atrocious colors, which brings me to the next point...

2) Colors so awful that make me wonder why I didn't just join the military for good clothing. Except for a few random pieces of black and blue denim, why is the majority of female clothing horrendous colors like bright white, pink, and just about every other pastel that makes any red-blooded wilderness geek want to vomit? I like my greys, beiges, navy blues (at least business suits come in this color but I sure as hell can't bike in one of these, much less go outdoors), browns, and various shades of green. I can't stand these darned pastels and flashy reds that plague the female clothing departments. Sometimes I just wish I were color-blind, or at least selectively color-blind so I don't have to feel so sickened at these horrible pastels. Pink is the ultimate throw-up inducing color in the world and the only way you'll catch me in pink is if a piece of red clothing accidentally found its way into my white laundry, which has happened... and only until I can wash the crap out of that accidental dye-job or over-write it by slipping a piece of something that'll neutralize the horrendousness of pink.

There a lot more "What the Frequency" type stuff but I think I'm going to save it for after I finish up my term papers. I also need to keep working on my back-tension shooting and get some exercise so I can shift my dominant weight eigenvalue to something below 1.000, preferably without an imaginary component.

No comments: