Thursday, January 25, 2007

Won't the Lizards Ever Learn?

For some reason, my most interesting shots occur right when I don't have my camera. Today after a rather torturous bus ride to avoid the rain that never came, I decided to go to Gator Bowmen for a bit before studying. I took my recurve with me and here's a list of some of the more exciting shots besides being able to get decent groups up to about 25 yards and even hitting fairly small spots at 20 yards and under:

-- There was a bit of a dark spot on one of the field targets that showed up much more clearly than the actual spot. I nailed it from about 10 yards and it was under fairly low light conditions. Turned out that dark spot was a lizard who apparently got a bit too lazy (or cold) to move. I saw the spot writhing after I hit it and sure enough when I went to retrieve the arrow, it was bloody and there was a pretty mangled-looking lizard with a big hole in its back.

-- There was a shot I was taking from about 12 yards for one of these 10 yard target (for compounds) because there are some pretty darned close shots in 3-D shoots with tiny 10 point rings. I aimed a bit high as I tend to do when it's fairly dark and I saw a lizard scampering out and another falling out from under the target and yet another flying out in panic. The one that fell out was in two pieces and I pulled out a bloody arrow.

What did I do afterwards? I continued shooting -- I get far too little time at the range as it is so I just kept shooting until it was too dark! I got some strange sense of satisfaction in being able to shoot these little guys and there's also something oddly fun about being able to catch these lizards, preferably without forcing them to jettison their tails.

As an aside... it's also quite satisfying to be able to shoot a palmetto bug, roach, or freakishly large spider from about 10-20 yards back. I think it's the whole concept of the target that shows up really strongly against the black or white background that draws me to these more interesting targets. Let's just hope that if I do start hunting, I can land a nice solid kill-shot either through the lungs, windpipe, or femoral artery!

No comments: