Monday, January 01, 2007

The Wicker Man





Here's the Wicker Man that my friends built before we set him on fire. Basically, my traditional archery coach and her husband have a New Years party where they build this big Ent-like thing and all the guests put something in, either a scroll with a note or some paper/wood/cloth-based item into the Wicker Man as a new year's wish or resolution. My fellow archers and I nick-named this one "Treebeard" after the old Ent in Lord of the Rings and I really felt at home once again when we were discussing how big Treebeard really had to be to be able to pick up two hobbits. It's really refreshing to be able to talk about Tolkien and Dungeons and Dragons again! Besides the ritual burning, there was also plenty of really good food, including barbequed wild boar, which is much, much better than the store-bought stuff! I might just take up bow-hunting to get that occasional fix for really good meat!

There were some people who cracked me and my friends up when they decided to make Treebeard anatomically correct, at least for a human! I didn't realize that they put a sock somewhere amusing until one of the children couldn't stop laughing and pointed out where the sock was hanging. Then we also noticed that several people had placed their scrolls in other places where things didn't quite belong. You can probably guess based on the pictures what was so hilarious!

There's Treebeard burning brightly:





No comments: