Wednesday, January 03, 2007

More FAQs on Dunheasa/Telcontar

I've been getting yet more questions... so here are my responses to them:

From Whispers from Afar"

Q: Who is Tarathorn based on?
A: Academically, Tarathorn's based on me, but the persona is based on someone I knew at Caltech from the ballroom dance team. She was also inspired by some freakishly young students I've run into -- those little 14-year olds who made the grading curves in my biology classes really hurt!

Q: How close-to-life were the professors in the story?
A: Some were almost dead-on, some are amalgamations of various characters I've run into over the years, most just had quirks from memorable professors I've had over the years.

Q: Who or what was Billie-Joanna (from Whispers from Afar) based on?
A: A favorite D&D character I played in a very long campaign, who also shows up in Telcontar Restored but in an older, mellower form.

Q: Was organic chemistry THAT bad to have a story like Whispers from Afar?
A: Yes and no. It was a pretty painful series, but at least I didn't have anything more embarassing than a yield of 1% on an experiment that should've yielded at least 25%

Q: Who/what were the Tuonela from Whispers from Afar based on?
A: To be honest, I wasn't thinking too much about that. The name "Tuonela" I think comes from either Finnish or Scandinavian mythology, Finnish more likely. As far as the people themselves, physically I visualize them as looking more Aztec or Mayan but culturally, fairly western European. The name "Andraste" comes from Celtic mythology, the name just stood out for some random reason at the time. A future story may flesh out the Tuonela a whole lot more.

Q: Will Tarathorn ever go back to Tuonela?
A: Who knows... ?

From multiple stories:

Q: Which characters are based on you?
A: In a sense, most of them are in some aspect or another, usually something academic or some really interesting/amusing (mis)adventure. Joanne de Salvo (from Journey to Dunheasa) is most blatantly based on me and Captain Greywolf is a fantasy version of me. Kestrel is also pretty blatantly based on myself, although a much spazzier version!

Q: Is Tuonela connected to the Crossroads? And where exactly is Tuonela?
A: Not directly but it is a lot closer to the Crossroads than this world! It's in the world known as Palindor, which is where Vincent and Ivan end up going in Telcontar Restored when Kestrel takes them on a the little trip.

Q: Chronologically, how are these stories supposed to go?
A: Journey to Dunheasa is first. Whispers from Afar and Peek at Geekster Life take place around the same time, although Peek goes further ahead in time. After those two, Telcontar takes place.

No comments: