Saturday, January 13, 2007

And Now I Know!

I finally shot through the chronometer today to get an actual number for how fast my trusty Chek-Mate is with my wooden arrows. The number that came out was 134 feet per second consistently at a 25" draw (anchoring at the corner of my mouth instead of the back of my jaw). This means I'm getting about 37-38 lbs of draw weight tops. That's not too bad for that piddly of a draw weight and heavy arrows! So I'm guessing that I was getting around 145-155 fps at my preferred draw (back of the jaw) with the much lighter but still fairly heavy carbon arrows I used to use.

I'm so tempted to get 50 lb @ 25" (around 57-59 lbs @ 28") limbs for my Chek-Mate recurve to see what kind of speeds I can get, plus I know that 50 lbs on a traditional bow is within my comfort range... but that'll have to wait until I have more daylight hours to myself.

No comments: