Friday, December 15, 2006

Raptors...






I got really fed up with being cooped up indoors so I finally took my chances (it was a warm day!) and went out to the range. It was either that or destroy another wall in my apartment or worse. I took Sorondil-Telcontar (the Chek-Mate Hunter I recurve) and Hawk-Wing (the Little Hawk longbow... finally "officially" gave it a name besides "Forgiveness") with me to see which one I want to use for this upcoming year for my competitions. My verdict: I think I prefer Sorondil-Telcontar because it's easier to transport and it's easier for me to aim but Hawk-Wing might be better for a really long tournament because it's a lot more forgiving, which is critical for when I'm tired.

I also saw a very beautiful hawk at the range. I couldn't identify the species, but it was a fairly large one that kept eyeing me and keening at me. I suspect I was probably getting on its nerves by being in its territory, but I want to think that maybe it was trying to tell me something. Of all birds, the most beautiful in my book are the raptors -- hawks, eagles, and falcons. I did get a picture of it, but my camera isn't all that good for long distance and I didn't want to approach too closely knowing what an angry hawk can do to someone with their talons and beak... plus I didn't want to bother it more than I had to. The hawk kept eyeing me and I could just feel it just look straight through me -- not many animals will give me that experience of making me realize that there's more than what meets the human eye. I've seen my fair share of wildlife up close and personal, but this hawk really had me wondering if it knew secrets that were beyond human understanding and what it saw in me. Raptors may not necessarily be among the most intelligent of birds by human standards, but they do have that intense gaze that gives them a strange depth of character and a sense of being equals with humans.

No comments: