Monday, December 18, 2006

Accuracy and Precision Obsession



Just to give you an idea of the kind of precision and accuracy I'm trying for, the vane on the arrow is 1 3/4 inches long. I'm trying to get as many of my arrows within a circle with that diameter. The diameter of the X ring is about 7/8 inches. This target I was using is designated for 20-35 feet. I was shooting from 60 feet back. I'm still trying to see if I can use that center X ring as my standard -- I've seen people get all of their arrows in there from 30 yards and more, so what's holding me back from attempting to do this at 20 yards? An actual 5-spot target for the 300 has an X ring diameter of 1 5/8 inches and the whole 5 ring is 3 1/8 inches in diameter, by the way.

Shooting two 300 rounds earlier today was pretty mentally and physically trying, but it was worth trying to see how accurately and precisely I could place my shots... which in turn is a reflection of my form and to a lesser extent, my ability to actually aim. The Equalizer gets pretty darned heavy by the last round... and 120 arrows on the Equalizer at only 41 lbs under mock 300 conditions takes more out of me than about 250 shots on my traditional at about the same draw weight!

No comments: