Thursday, December 14, 2006

Kick-Butt Meatloaf

Still sick, but getting ready to resume my natural functioning soon!

One thing I've been doing while being effectively cooped up indoors is cooking stuff that I normally wouldn't be inclined to cook because I'm too fidgety and have too many other things to do outside. My most recent conquest: meatloaf. Here's what I did to make myself some pretty decent meatloaf that'll probably last me about 3-4 days. It is a bit on the dry side, but the BBQ sauce, vegetables and mashed crackers do hold it together nicely.

Ingredients:
2 large chopped sweet yellow onions
3/4 lb chopped celery
1/2 lb chopped carrots
1/3 box of multi-grain crackers
2 lbs lean ground turkey
2/3 bottle Hickory smoke-flavored BBQ sauce
3 tablespoons of garlic paste
canola oil
black pepper (to taste)
cayenne pepper (to taste)
paprika (to taste)

Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Chop up onions and sautee them in canola oil until tender. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl until it's as homogeneous as ground meat and coarsely chopped veggies and cracker bits can be. Once it's homogeneous, put in a large baking pan (forgot the dimensions, think it's 13x9) and it's probably a good idea to lightly grease it to avoid having stuff stuck onto the pan. [Note: I basted the meatloaf before putting it into the oven, I recommend waiting until the last 15-20 minutes unless you like carbonized crusts on top]. Bake for about 1 hour 45 minutes, basting the top of the meatloaf with any remaining BBQ sauce or other tomato-based sauce.

No comments: