Thursday, February 13, 2020

The Road to Competition...

So I started on an 8-ish week pre-weightlifting competition protocol to help clean up and maximize my snatch and clean & jerk.

Here's a few of the drills I've done so far... I'm not allowed to post the official program, but I am allowed to post clips of individual drills.

Shown below: tall snatch. This is to help improve my second and third pulls as well as reinforce a straight upward pull because I tend to lurch forward on my snatches. I also struggle to drop down quickly under the bar. Combined with drills such as drop snatches, snatch balance, and accelerated overhead squats, this will help me get under the bar more efficiently.


The tall cleans (below) are also to help reduce my tendency to lurch forward as well as improve my second and third pulls.  I tend not to drop down very effectively, although it's nowhere as severe as my tendency with the snatch.

I now have developed a tendency to move backwards instead of lurching forwards. Ideally, the bar trajectory is straight up, but what has been happening is now I'm pulling the bar back.

I struggle a bit with overall smoothness and fluidity on snatches, so no jump snatches have been incorporated into my training plan.  Besides working with speed, I'm always working on control throughout the lift, but that doesn't mean I go slowly either.

And of course, the classic snatch balance and overhead squat to help me drop under the bar faster and more comfortably...

No comments: