Sunday, May 05, 2019

Barbell Warmup Drills

It may be a while before I can really handle significant weights, but I can always work on form drills. The bulk of my work came from this on the board. I didn't do that clean version of the snatch warmup, but the mechanics are similar in terms of a controlled first and second pull (or as one of my coaches will call it, pushes) and then an explosive third pull as I go into triple extension.


I didn't film the halting snatch grip deadlift, but I did film the snatch pull.  The primary thing is to make sure the barbell is moving in a straight line up.

The muscle snatch is pretty much pulling the barbell up, and then pulling and punching the bar up without dropping under the bar.

The tall snatch is primarily working on dropping under the bar quickly.  There's both the pull up and the push down in the snatch.

The hang snatch integrates both the explosive triple extension and the pushing the body under the bar. I actually like going from the hang position because something seems to happen somewhere between the bottom of my kneecap and above the kneecap.

And then there's the full snatch...


On the clean and jerk side, I put more emphasis on the jerk today because I know there will be a fair amount of work on the clean. I know I need a lot more work on my clean pulls. First there's the standard overhead press.


Next is the push press without dropping under the bar at all.


Then there's the strict press from the split jerk position, although I do end up getting into the split jerk stance by doing an actual split jerk.


A significant part of the jerk involves dropping under the bar quickly, which allows for more weight to go overhead.  This drill emphasizes work on dropping under the bar and getting the feet into place quickly.


And then there's the full split jerk.  I do tend to have my back leg a little more straight than it should be at light weights, but that seems to correct itself at heavier weights.


I also got some work on both the clean and jerk and some clean pulls at relatively light weights.




No comments: