Saturday, February 18, 2012

Five Points of Life 5K

In the corral prior to the race. Gas pressure is building up and I feel squishy and bloated but ready to run and possibly contribute some CH4 and H2S to the atmosphere.

Oh there's the camera-man! Yeah... there's some good intestinal gas in there making me feel even squishier!

And off we go!

Final stretch... gut instincts guide me away from the wet spot, later revealed to be the site of a good puke-fest by some little boy.

Recovery time! Completed the race in 24:15 (by my watch, which was from air-horn to crossing the very end of the finish line and remembering to hit my watch). My first mile was 7:40 and I know I had a pretty fast second mile because of a significant downhill component. All I can say is... personal best for the 5k, still trying to beat that 7:30 single mile, but hey, 24:15 for 5k is awesome for me!

The fastest runner completed in something like 16:10 or so I think and the next one finished something like 17:45 or so. I think I came in somewhere in the top 50 out of 300 or so folks, which I'm pretty happy with. There was a woman I thought about trying to out-do at the end but decided against it and just focused on keeping my own pace without risking any up-chuck episodes.

So next time... let's see if I can go *below* that 24 minute mark for sure, maybe even down to 22-23 minutes!

No comments: