Thursday, May 24, 2007

Bug-Swallow and Random AD&D Pondering

I swallowed a bug last night while jogging. I coughed and spluttered and out came bits and pieces of what might've been a pretty good-sized fly of sorts. It sure as heck wasn't the usual gnat that goes up my nose, but whoa, that was gross. It made me think of a cartoon I had seen recently -- "Bug-in-Mouth Disease" on the Homestar Runner website. Once I was able to talk again, the first words that escaped my mouth as I resumed my nightly constitutional was "Bug-swallow! Bug-swallow!". For the first time, I actually felt a bit of a bond with Homestar Runner (generally not so fond of him but I'm a huge fan of Strong Bad and Homsar) and then I contemplated all the possibilities of having swallowed a fly. The next thing I thought of was that song/story from elementary school, the one about the little old lady who swallowed a fly and how she swallows a menagerie of progressively larger animals to catch the one she swallowed before.

Out of the blue while pondering over regression trees, I suddenly had a flashback of the old AD&D games that came in gold boxes. For some reason, I thought about paladins, a character class that amuses my group to no end when it comes to tormenting them. They're pretty much your stereotyped knights in shining armor on a holy mission for those of you not so familiar with Dungeons and Dragons. Anyway, in AD&D, especially in the old games, paladins radiate a protection from evil, 10' radius spell at all times. The "official" explanation is that as their god(s) holy knight, they get a bit of protection. Here's some random thoughts that came up in my ranger-biased imagination:

-- It's really the fact that they reek and their fellow adventurers put up with them because they're used to it.
-- They eat lots of garlic, which may also for their ability to scare off or destroy undead creatures like vampires
-- That shiny armor is blinding
-- "My honor is my life" (well, at least for the Knights of Solamnia in Dragonlance)
-- They preach way too much and the party they travel with has learned how to screen out their preachy ways
-- Beans. Lots of beans in their diet.

Ok, time to go back to work. I just had to let that brain-fart out of my system before I laugh my head off too much. I can't wait to shoot another 3-D and another 300! Sorondil-Telcontar calls to me... as does the Monster (yes, that's what I call the Equalizer after someone in my office said "What is that monster?")... but it's mostly little Sorondil-Telcontar that calls after a wildly successful round last night where I scored 98/240 and a 3-D where I scored 114/200 earlier this week :) Oh and a 300 where I scored (with the Monster) 258/300 (ouch... I was reaching 270-280 on the Scott Sabertooth, that back-tension release is really whipping my butt!)

I also need to do a lot of arrow repairs and apartment clean-up... My place is starting to look like a linear combination of Howl's moving castle and the room in the music video for "Drama" by Erasure. I think I might also want to get my hands on some extra 1814 X7 Eclipses -- they're actually doing pretty well after spending a bit more time with them and putting more emphasis on back-tension in shooting traditional. The cedars are still more reliable for me as far as the magnitude of the error functions go, but the Eclipses are doing well with keeping a very consistent bias even if it's very easy to over-compensate. I really should be doing a more thorough analysis of their behavior!

No comments: