Friday, May 18, 2007

The 300 Test

Well, I did some intensive testing on the two back-tension releases and so far, I'm preferring the Carter Evolution over the TRU Ball Sweet Spot II. I know my experimental design has some issues because I literally did two 300 rounds (12 ends of 5 arrows on a 5-spot target from 20 yards away) back-to-back with only a short break in between. My scores sucked on both 300s, especially compared to what I was getting with the caliper release and a draw weight in the mid-high 40 lbs. Just to give you an idea of my suckage, I got 252/300 with 10/60 arrows in the X ring with the Evolution and 219/300 with 4/60 in the X with the Sweet Spot II. As far as comfort for extended periods of time go, I actually like the Sweet Spot II better, but for control even when my stamina's running low, the Evolution wins out. If there was a 4-finger version of the Evolution, that would be the ultimate release for me based on what I've tried (and witnessed) -- I'm still not quite brave enough to try a lot of the other back-tension releases after a good friend of mine told me about his trip to the ER (and resulting stitches) after his release went off prematurely and he punched himself in the face really badly. My friend is also missing some teeth in front because of this accident.

I'm definitely nowhere near ready to compete with a compound, at least in anything remotely competetive! But as far as traditional goes, I think I'm ready to hunt some foam animals again and maybe with some training over the summer with some experimentation, I might even be ready to join my friends on the trail or in the tree-stand to get myself some quality deer or wild hog meat!

No comments: