Saturday, March 24, 2007

NAA Level 1 Instructor Certification

As of today, I am now a certified archery instructor! I got my training today in Apopka and even if I don't really teach the intended audience (kids at school or youth camp type things), I did learn quite a few tricks to make my own shooting deadlier. I don't know if I'll ever be able to do the stand-up-straight and don't-cant-the-bow with my Sorondil-Telcontar (my trusty Chek-Mate recurve) because longbow technique has been ingrained so hard into me, but I know for sure that I can easily apply what I've learned in the class to my compound shooting. I'm not the world's biggest fan of Olympic-style shooting, but I have to admit, it is a good style to pick up early on. I'm a much bigger fan of 3-D and wing-shooting, but then again, I'm much more of an instinctive shooter who'd rather go for the "kill" and run around relatively unencumbered. I do enjoy field, but I think a lot of it is because it involves more interesting shots than just standing and shooting across the field and there's a pretty good-sized hiking in the woods element to it. I think I have a bit of the hunt in my blood, just not quite the guts to take apart the carcass yet... maybe with enough lizard/bug kills, I'll be able to build up to it!

And now to convince myself that designing a study on seed predation or ecosystem restoration is as exciting as developing coupled evapotranspiration and carbon flux simulation models!

No comments: