Sunday, October 29, 2006

Field Training




There's few things as thrilling as doing archery. I got a major head-rush today when my coach and I went out to the range to do a practice hunter round (4 arrows from marked posts at various distances at 14 targets). Total number points possible: 280 with 5 for the inner-most circle, 4 for the next circle, and 3 for the outermost ring. I pulled a 218/280, which is pretty darned good for someone who's got very little experience with a compound, tends to snap-shoot, is vulnerable to target panic, and forgets that a compound isn't a longbow... and apparently good for someone with a fair amount of experience too! I've had a few critters tell me that I've got the makings of a championship archer... but I'm still a bit skeptical myself about this! Yes, a really great dial-up sight with a magnifier makes it a lot easier aim as well as the let-off on my bow and the high speed (223 feet per second!), but it still takes a lot of work, as I'm very quickly learning. I still have to actually keep my form up, and trust me, a 5 lb set-up is harder to hold up and making sure I have a clean release is a lot tougher than just finger shooting on my recurve.

Above are pictures from the practice range to make sure we're sighted in. I'm taking shots at 60 yards (doable but difficult shot for my Chek-Mate and almost impossible on the Little Hawk) and scoring on each shot. My arrows are the ones with the white and yellow fletch and my coach is shooting black and orange fletch. It's still quite mind-boggling to see what I can do with a bit of training and focus... and some impressive equipment to top it off!

No comments: