Saturday, June 04, 2005

Finals Rant, Part 2 of n

So here's another installment of my finals ranting and raving... What's really on my mind right now... well, my final for the nonlinear dynamics course (CDS 104 at Caltech) that turned my brain into jello:

Consider the system: x' = x(1 - ax - y), y' = y(b - x - y) + h

Here a, b, and h are parameters. We assume that a, b > 0. If h > 0 then we are harvesting species y at a constant rate, while if h > 0, we add to the population y at a constant rate. The goal is to understand this system completely for all possible values of these parameters. As usual, we only consider the regime where x, y => 0. If y(t) <= 0 for any t > 0, then we consider this species to have become extinct.

1) First assume that h = 0. Give a complete synopsis of the behavior of this system by plotting the different behaviors you find in the a, b parameter plane.

2) Identify the points or curves in the ab-plane where bifurcations occur when h = 0 and describe them.

3) Now let h > 0. Describe the ab-parameter plane for various (fixed) h-values.

4) Repeat the previous exploration for h > 0.

5) Describe the full 3-D parameter space using pictures, flip books, 3D models, movies, or whatever you find most appropriate.

Sounds simple, doesn't it? Well... let's just say this this pretty much ripped me a new digestive tract... And no, I won't post my answers to them. At least not yet. There's still a gaggle of undergrads that are taking this final at Caltech. I don't want to violate the Honor Code .

I really should be working on the rest of my finals... More finals ranting on the way as my stress level reaches that unstable fixed point again!

Next installment: New uses for Foxtrot and Quickstep music and anything I can dig up about geography... maybe...

1 comment:

Cylithera said...

Might be a tad late since I'm a bit slow on comments but I used Mathematica and Excel to do this. Basically I used Mathematica for the 3-D parameter space. In retrospect, a movie or flip book would've done much better because I had a nightmare of a time trying to do 3-D graphing, but then again, at the time my knowledge of Mathematica isn't that strong.