Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Blackhawk Vapor 2000


I'm in the process of experimenting with some new arrows I got, some Blackhawk Vapor Hunter 2000, which are spined for 35-45 lbs. So far, from bare-shafting in my apartment, it looks like the uncut shaft with a 100 grain point seems to be doing reasonably well (ie, flight is fairly straight aside from some porpoising with a bias towards nock-high). I tried the 125 and 145 grain points and I kept going tail-left, indicating that the arrows were shooting weak. I actually had some trouble remembering which went tail-left and tail-right so I had to experiment with a combination that I knew was not going to work very well -- namely the 30 lb recurve with a bare shaft that I knew spined really well for the River's Edge Recurve I seem to have gotten rather fond of the last few months. It flew tail severely to the right and I confirmed it with a few replicates and taking my 40 lb longbow and putting that through. It flew idiotically tail-right so I knew tail-left meant that the arrow was spining weak. I actually like my arrows to spine slightly weak after realizing that dead-on spining or slightly stiff spining actually hurts me in competition. Of course, things are very likely to change once I get the ratty Bear-hair rest and strike-plate off my little Chek-Mate and replace it with a nicer rest and probably readjust the the nock-set. That might also help with the problem of my arrows constantly flying nock-high because the Bear-hair rest does elevate the arrow quite a bit. I can't wait for some non-windy, non-stormy weather days where I'm not going to be stuck in front of a computer for too many hours a day! I still have to fletch the rest of the shafts and put in inserts but I'm holding off on doing so until I get a good bare-shaft tuning after changing out that ratty rest.

No comments: