Thursday, March 20, 2008

BEYOND Lethally Boring

I just thought of a new rating for my classes -- BLB for "Beyond Lethally Boring". There's not too much else to say about this besides the fact that my land tenure class seems to have stooped to even greater lows in terms of making me fantasize about being locked up in a sub-basement for days on end with a soldering kit, a printed circuit board, and 8086 assembly programming. This is the kind of boredom in the class where I can't even motivate myself to do something more productive (like going to sleep) because all the life is being sucked out of me just to make sure I pass this class so I don't have to take it again. It's the kind of suckiness in the class that leaves me feeling like a body looking for its spirit and in need of a blow-torch and a huge keg of propane to put some fire back into me. Only a few really bad books and movies reach these depths of hell for me. It literally took me doodling molecules of some of my favorite pesticides or their ingredients to bring me back from the dead and thinking about cool stuff like response surfaces in estimating stand volume, how to determine confidence intervals for strip cruise data, different techniques to scale up CO2 and evapotranspiration flux models while still remaining relatively parsimonious, and how to be an even deadlier archer under all light conditions just to keep me from going back to the Dry Lands.

I did a bit of practice for upcoming IKAC/Royal Rounds by going through the field range at Gator Bowmen. I had left campus a bit early to give myself a breather between land tenure (aka the suckiest class I ever took at UF) and the GSC meeting earlier tonight so I thought a bit of shooting would improve my pretty frayed nerves. I pretty much alternated between shooting 4 and 6 arrows at each target -- field standard is 4 arrows per target, IKAC and Royal Rounds are 6 per target during the non-timed rounds. I tended to take 6 shots on the longer (25+ yards) shots and 4 on the shorter targets. All I can say is, I'm pretty impressed with how well I can shoot Tehanu!



No comments: