Monday, September 24, 2007

Adventures in Methods of Ecosystem Ecology

How many grad students does it take to get through 100 meters of dense understory in a longleaf pine (Pinus palustris) forest that hasn't been burned in 25 years? I'll let you ponder over the answer for a bit. In case you haven't figured it out, click on the title of the post to see the pictures.

In other news, I've been tinkering around with my longbow and a recurve that a friend of mine loaned me. The longbow, the take-down from Four Winds that I have now dubbed "Sparrowhawk" (in honor of Ged, whose use-name was Sparrowhawk, from the Earthsea series and in reference to a few of my quirks), behaved a whole lot better today after I did something I usually don't like to do. I raised the brace-height from 6.75 inches (which is a bit higher than I usually like on a longbow) to 7.25 inches (which is about where I set my recurve to... that's a really good recurve brace-height for me!) and even though I lost some speed, I certainly was able to get some more consistent arrow flight. I usually don't like to give up too much speed because my draw length is so painfully short, but if it makes my bow a lot easier to control and place a better shot, losing a few feet per second may not suck so much.

I like Sparrowhawk better than the River's Edge recurve, although there is a lot more of a battle of wills between me and Sparrowhawk. The River's Edge bow is certainly very well-engineered with its static limb-tips and is one of the few deflexed riser bows that I can actually shoot reasonably well with. For only getting about 40 lbs at my draw length, it puts a pretty nice zip and isn't as picky about what goes through it, although it certainly has its preferences in arrows... It's a much gentler bow and a lot easier to transport, but I still have my biases towards the much more aggressive Sparrowhawk (Phoenix 3-piece T/D longbow built by Lester Pynne, who lives about an hour's drive from me) and the zippy but mellow little Sorondil-Telcontar :)

No comments: