Tuesday, February 06, 2007

And I Dub Thee... Lizardbane






I did it again -- killed a lizard at the range again. This time it was from 10 yards and for some reason I thought it was a really green leaf or some random detritus that someone had placed on the target face. I took a shot at it and it started twitching so I knew it wasn't what I thought it was. I decided to put it out of its misery by taking a few more shots at it knowing that at 10 yards, my accuracy is pretty darned good. The second shot already finished it off but I figure I might as well finish my accuracy/precision drill. I felt a strange sense of pride in being able to make that kill once I realized what it was -- in terms of scaling, if I can get that kind of accuracy on a lizard, imagine what I can do with a deer or a hog!

What made this even more interesting was that this happened while I was testing a theory someone had about why my aim was so off with my trusty Chek-Mate recurve even if the flight looked pretty good, namely that I was way underspined with that batch of arrows. So I had taken my longbow and my 30 lb Martin X-200 (aka the Little One even if it is longer than my Chek-Mate) to do a bit of a comparison to see which bow my last batch of arrows fit. Without a doubt, I had much better results with the Martin X-200, which I semi-expected because I'm only getting 20-25 lbs out of it with my piddly 25" draw, although for that little draw weight, it sure sends those heavy arrows flying pretty well out to 35-40 yards. I had the same leftwards bias with the longbow as I did with my Chek-Mate recurve, while I generally hit where I aimed (give or take a bit of a stochastic error function) with the X-200 with this batch of arrows.

No comments: