Monday, February 05, 2007

100th Post!

Well, looks like I've reached the 100th post finally! Basically the link is of good, inspiring guitar playing that a friend of mine sent to me after he got a full blast of me ranting and raving about my research proposal, experimental design involving a controlled burn, and being stressed over not having enough time to roam about and shoot.

Not much else going on here although I'm realizing that experimental designing in ecology can be quite the challenge! I wanted to measure the use of trees as an escape route for a low-intensity fire (as is typical of slash pine forest) based on the quantity of flammable materials (ie, saw palmettoes) near the tree. After I presented this idea to my FL ecosystems prof, we must've spent a good half hour going over the pitfalls of the various possibilities in sampling schemes, logistical issues, and statistical analyses. All this for a simple experiment in catching bugs during a fire! I'm looking forward to taking out my frustration on the saw palmettoes though and watching things burn -- the lack of archery time does have an interesting effect on me of late.

Writing update: I now have a bit of an "out-take" section that'll probably grow soon. You can reach it at http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~greywolf/out-takes

I might also do another writing FAQ soon -- I've been getting a lot of verbal questions of late!

No comments: