Monday, June 10, 2013

Sunshine State Games 2013


The Sunshine State Games was one heck of an event after Tropical Storm Andrea, which did make things extra icky-sticky. I shot the FITA round on the first day and the American 900 round on the second day, both with a 35 lb longbow that R had built. The ultra-light weight riser was very unstable and unforgiving and the slower speeds made it unusually vulnerable to wind drift, but short distances (50 meters and less) were very promising because it was much easier to hold back the weight. Then again, I do notice that my release, while clean, don't have that extreme explosiveness that I find ultra-satisfying with the zebrawood bow.

 On the line with my fellow barebow and older arch-rival... think this was at 50 yards. It was so awesome to have 2 other barebows on my target, even if one is a compound string-walker and the other is a recurve string-walker who's experimenting with his anchor a bit!

 Azarath... 

 Metrion...

 Zinthos!!!!! And now visualize the explosions and the dark flashes and anything else associated with Raven from the Teen Titans series...

 Let's see if that spider is mine!

 Focusing on that little spider hiding in the center of the target...

 Yeah... the 35 lb bow is certainly very easy to hold back!

 The Fantastic Four! Besides the three of us who almost always try to shoot together, we also had a youngster join us for her first ever tournament!

And the award ceremony. I went uncontested in my official division but my unofficial arch-rival beat me this time after I got him back in October at the Classic 600 in the Villages and narrowly beating him last year at Sunshine State Games. Until the next time we go face-to-face!

No comments: