Sunday, October 30, 2011

Field/Hunter Round at Gator Bowmen


My quasi-protege at full draw after the shoot itself. She held her own pretty well for someone with a 20 lb @ 24" mini-recurve and heavy wooden arrows and ZERO experience in field archery!



Pre-shoot calibration at 50 yards while it's relatively warm. Nothing like the joys of calibration drift! I shot some super-tight groups today but man, they were usually in the wrong place... typically significantly high. Put it this way: my typical spot-on point is around 52 yards so I can aim right below the bull's-eye at 50 and can get some really good shots in there. Today? I had to aim at the bottom of the scoring ring to be kinda high in the 50 yard area. My 20-30 yard shots were ok though, but 35+ was a little weird and the nonlinear nature of the calibration drift made for some very entertaining shots. I certainly shot beautiful groups though even if they were out of the scoring ring!

No comments: