Thursday, April 16, 2009

Just A Bit More...

I'm really, really hoping my body will hold up long enough for me to at least do some serious butt-kicking on my final project for my soil-landscape modeling class. I've already lost a full day to what can best be described as digestive distress from hell. Without going into gratuitous details, it involved a high fever and way too much time worshiping the porcelain god... so no work got done. I'm still not at full juice but I'm determined to do the best I can and hopefully finish the class with a solid, un-contestable A in the class as well as set myself up for a productive summer. This project is pretty much a mini prototype of what I will be doing summer, so I really want to do the best I can. I know I'm only looking at a very trivial case by using only Landsat data and some forest inventory data, but considering I'm also learning how to use and interpret classification & regression tree models and comparing it to an artificial neural network... yeah. I did shock my adviser a bit because while I was describing my term project, he thought I was talking about my dissertation research so I had to do a bit of a clarification with a bit of "this is for the next week" and "THIS is for my dissertation".

In any event... let's just hope I survive this next week... and that my models will actually run. At least the classification tree is kinda working and I got something that looks remotely reasonable. Wish me luck getting MatLab to read in the data sets so I can run the artificial neural network!

No comments: