Thursday, August 31, 2006

Pieces of a TIN Model

Just feeling like scribbling a few random things down in one long post instead of several short bursts. I'm definitely caught in a nice Triangular Irregular Network full of stochastic processes... but as one of my favorite characters once said, "To live is an awfully big adventure".

Relaxation

Besides shooting them, I also really enjoy making arrows. There's just something about turning shafts of wood, glue, feathers, and pieces of plastic and metal into something powerful, beautiful, and ultimately, deadly, in the right hands. I'm split between wood and carbon -- I enjoy the wood arrows because there's a lot more I can do with them and there's a sense of "bonding" with the arrows that doesn't involving glue, but I also enjoy the carbon arrows bebcause they're almost indestructible and are a lot more precise. I can't wait to start my next batch of wooden arrows, which will be cedar (like ones I've made before) but also stained, sealed, and spined to the proper stiffness to turn them into real killers.

Frodo Baggins Syndrome

So I was at an ecology group meeting today and while I was scouting out for potential brains to start picking at, I noticed that everyone was signing up for a time to do some kind of presenation. Only thing was, nobody wanted to present next week, not even the really outgoing young professor from the wildlife department. After the paper went around for a while, the professors in charge were looking for someone to present and I had asked one of them about something else. I don't know what hit me next, but I suddenly said "I'll take it!" I felt like I was at the Council of Elrond and I had just played the role of Frodo Baggins. And now I'm going to have to cough up a presentation... and a manuscript!

More Kills!

I have now added another lizard to my kills -- they need to really stop taking naps between the cardboard target face and the foam or cardboard backing. I also have 2 more giant roach-like bugs in my list of kills. One of them was actually something I aimed at from 10 meters, but the other also made the mistake of hiding in that little space and I managed to nail it from about 25 meters back. As usual, it was with my Chek-Mate recurve, which is getting easier to get accurate shots with now even though my practice time has been severely cut. I've been limiting myself to the practice range because I don't have as much time to dedicate to my shooting, so I've only been doing accuracy and precision drills. The precision drills are a lot easier for me, but in a real tournament or hunting situation, I also need accuracy at a wide range of distances. Coming to think of it, I really feel like shooting!

No comments: