Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Orthogonal Thought-Chains

Thought #1 is another "Do Not Attempt At Home"
Basically I got really stressed yesterday and decided to make some comfort food in the form of some Indian-style curry. I had 2 bottles of curry sauce from Trader Joe's and tons of frozen meat and veggies. Being hungry, tired, and aching from jogging about 3 miles on a treadmill, I decided that the best way to make something yummy was to boil the chicken strips first and then add the sauce and then the veggies. Only problem was I was really impatient and didn't wait for the chicken to thaw out properly so I could separate the pieces. So I have this huge chunk of chicken that's taking forever to cook, so I'm thinking "I'll add more water and by the time I drive the water out, it'll be thoroughly cooked". Not quite, especially since when I tasted the result, it was kinda bland so I added some cayenne pepper to the mix. About an hour and a half (and about half a pound of salad) later, I had curry. Now keep in mind, I added A LOT of cayenne pepper to this mixture, so it was hot. But it's still good, just that I need to have rice and a lot of water (or other appropriate drink) with it. And that reminds me of a saying I once heard in my lab: Spicy food is hot twice, going in and coming out...

Thought #2 is a more introspective one...
One thing I'm learning these days is that there are some things that just won't go away... especially the part of me known as the Ranger. Now that I've gotten hooked on archery, martial arts, and all things that involve making myself physically tougher, it's getting pretty darned hard to concentrate. Even with me doing the last bits of Journey to Dunheasa and getting a lot of the Ranger out of my system, there's that bit that just won't let go. Speaking of Dunheasa, it might be a bit longer than I thought before I post that one. It's really frustrating when I'm trying to read up on latent heat models or when I'm trying to do intelligent models based on both vegetation indices and micro-met data and I just feel the outdoors calling out to me. What have I done to myself by rediscovering my old strength by picking up the bow again and learning tae kwon do?!

Thought #3 is are pet peeves I've got that have been making me swear excessively...
1) Applying excessive cosmetics in the locker room or anywhere (semi)public. Hey, as much as people like to think otherwise, gas molecules DO travel and when there's a lot of perfumes, lotions, etc being applied, some of us start having trouble breathing! And how the hell could someone pay so much attention to their appearance, especially as a student?!
2) Skimpy clothing in/near a chemistry or machining lab. Can we say, safety hazards?
3) Gym classes getting pre-empted by non-essential stuff like various business fairs on campus. Enough said. Can't they find somewhere else to go and NOT interfere with our few opportunities to actually try to keep ourselves healthy?!

No comments: