Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Creativity = F(stress, deadlines)

For some really weird reason, the urge for me to write non-technical stuff is strongest when I'm under serious deadlines and when I really need to work on more important stuff like my research. So I've been having trouble concentrating on my thesis and instead I keep visualizing acts of derring-do and brave archers in the wilderness. Not good when I need to finish and defend soon! Maybe I should start modelling my random thoughts instead of evapotranspiration... although for some reason, I don't think that'll quite cut it for my thesis (aka my ticket to freedom from CSULA)

And got a few words of wisdom...
-- Elbows are great until they don't want to turn outwards while doing archery Olympic-style with my non-dominant hand (standing straight with a recurve and holding the bow straight... ouch!).
-- Shooting at very short-distances on a target with lots of hard spots is really scary
-- It's a lot of fun cranking up music in the lab late at night when there's nobody else around, but when there's a class very close by and the walls are paper-thin, someone will be pissed. For some reason, people don't seem to quite appreciate Etno (Romanian/Moldovan folk music) or bagpipes very much...

No comments: