Friday, December 09, 2005

Edition 2 of Finals Rant, Part 2 of n

Actually this has been a fairly quiet finals week, cold symptoms aside.

I just want to get them over and for some reason all I've been wanting to do is archery, but unfortunately, I also need to think about my academic future. Plus it's been a bit cold, and although I'm almost impervious to what people in LA call cold, being sick and sleep-stressed does make things a lot more difficult.

Anyways... here's what I really felt like posting:
Let x1= # species on Island 1
x2= # species on Island 2
M= immigration rate from mainland
E= extinction rate
c= rate of exchange between islands
x1=x1(M-Ex1+cx2); x2=x2(cx1-Ex2)
Find and classify fixed points
x1/∂x1 ∂x1/∂x2
A=
x2/∂x1 ∂x2/∂x2

This was the fake introductory slide I used for a biogeography final presentation as a joke :)

No comments: