Friday, May 20, 2011

Potential Piece of the Side Project

There's two things that really amaze me of late...
1) What it takes for me to actually get to sleep at night these days -- namely a bit of time scribbling away in a notebook... and
2) How much a certain character who used to be at my gym really inspired me in my workouts (most of the exercises I do on my own I learned from him), archery (by helping me tune my workouts to help me handle the rigors of the KSL shooting technique taught to me at Newberry), and creepily enough, my non-academic writing.

That being said, here's a small piece of what may or may not get put into my current insomnia relief project, tentatively titled The Archer and the Swordsman... it all depends on which ending I ultimately choose to that one based on how I want to arc this story-line involving the Eternal Huntress and the Clawed Fury.

Two wolves haunt my dreams each night:
One lone grey from desert to the west,
Seeking perfection in moonlight.
The other, brown with a scar on his chest,
From sun- and rain-soaked lands in the east.
Who is this mysterious beast?

And what's this voice calling to me?
Can I accept my dim reflection?
Endless paths, unknown identity,
This search for strength and perfection.
The roads all look the same by day,
To what I journey to, I can't say.

I trek endlessly on my crusade
Though they say perfection doesn't exist,
Only mediocrity's dull blade.
But why does that voice in me insist
That I must pursue it ever onward,
That my road only goes forward?

Then I met you, fearsome and bold,
I wanted to run and hide from you,
A brutal beast enchanting to behold.
You woke the dormant grey wolf anew,
A spark from a frozen ember
Burning brighter than I remember.

You destroyed the soft human in me,
Though it hurt, I return for more,
Knowing that it'll finally set me free.
Last of my strength tapped to the core,
Though with your guidance I grow stronger,
Wolf awakened, human no longer.

Now bold and fearless I stand
As master archer and grey wolf knight.
Fires raging from embers you fanned
With your smile in the pale moonlight
And lending me your gentle aid
When my muscles' strength ebb and fade.

Grey wolf and brown wolf's paths must diverge:
Archer and doctor bonded through steel,
Separated by quests unlikely to re-converge
Fates that only their choices and time reveal
Though many fond memories endure ever on
Far past piercing lights of scarlet dawn.

No comments: