Sunday, September 19, 2010

First Bow-Killed Hog








I took this hog with my Fred Bear Lights-Out compound yesterday (Saturday) morning at 0830 hrs. He was accompanied by a second hog with similar coloration but significantly larger. After hearing stories about arrows bouncing off the shield that forms in the shoulder area on hogs, I decided to shoot the little one. I was pretty sure he was 70ish lbs when I decided to shoot him. Sure enough, he came into place first and I released my shot. I had already gotten a little wired up when I spotted a red fox an hour earlier but this time when I saw moving objects, I was a lot better prepared. Anyway, I see my arrow strike right behind the leg about what looks like 1/3 way up. He predictably runs and his buddy runs the other way. I wait until I'm steady enough to come down the ladder before I start blood-trailing. I probably blood-trail about 40-50 yards before realizing two things. 1) It's dangerous blood-trailing a hog solo, especially when one of the hogs looks pretty darned big and has visible tusks. 2) The trail starts getting a little spotty and goes into some really nasty, dense stuff. I wait for R to come down to help me trail this guy. My arrow did completely pass through, by the way, and smelled vaguely of gut but I wasn't sure because the larger hog with tusks did have a bit of an odor to him. Anyway, we find my hog not too far from where I stopped. That's when I realize two things. 1) He's A LOT bigger than I thought and 2) I did ever so slightly brush his guts but most of the damage (we found out when we cleaned him) was in the liver and lungs. So yes, that's my first bow-killed hog and I made about as clean of a kill as I could. Another 1/2 inch forward would've completely avoided the guts, but now I know to aim a slight bit more forward on a hog! I'm sure glad I didn't shoot the big hog -- now that I know that this one I got was 100+ lbs, I think the other one must've been 200+ and a real nightmare to carry back, not to mention the possibility of arrows not penetrating through that shield and just wounding or making him mad!

No comments: