Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Ricochet and FAQ 3/n


Somebody's arrow ricocheted. Can you find it?

Interesting place for a carbon arrow to break...

And on to the FAQ 3/n
Q: What will be the next class that'll inspire more stories in this series?
A: No clue. Maybe Ecosystems of Florida or forest mensuration or one of the various simulations or statistics classes I've taken.

Q: What's up with that "Mierda Santa" chapter?
A: Possible foreshadowing of things that may yet be or another "scenery" chapter. I haven't fully decided yet. I just thought showing some of Captain Greywolf's eating preferences was amusing.

Q: What are some of the inside jokes in the story?
A: Far too many of them to list. Ivan himself is a bit of an inside joke among my friends because he was based on a combination of the now defunct Moldovan boy-band, O-Zone, and the various critters I've run into over the years in the Caltech Ballroom Dance Club. I do poke a bit of fun at myself with my eating habits (mostly ones my friends call out) and the kind of characters I have a tendency to hang out with. There's also a few professors I do make fun of throughout the series, including my research adviser over the years and the various denizens of the biology and chemistry departments at Caltech.

Q: Why did the Crossroads get so muddy in the end?
A: Tarathorn cast a water spell in self-defense to get an enraged Vincent (in tiger form) away from her and she conjured a lot more water than she realized.

Q: What powers does someone have over another if they knew their target's True Name?
A: Depends on the situation. A Tuatha or other highly powerful being with either serious magical training (like Galka or Ivan) or innate skill (like Tarathorn) or both (like Iliiryana) with that knowledge can do quite a bit of stuff, mostly nasty things. Most creatures just see the True Name as another name and unlike in Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea series, most people aren't too secretive about their True Names. The probability of something awful happening by revealing one's True Name is generally next to nil. Of course, things may change with someone like Iliiryana on the loose...

Q: Is Vincent's transformation and the subsequent stuff that occurs afterwards any indication of potential situations?
A: I take the Fifth there.

No comments: