Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Dental Floss and Super-Glue

I just felt like posting something about some of the greatest inventions: dental floss and super-glue.

Dental floss, besides keeping my teeth in pretty decent shape (but alas, it didn't save me from the cosmetic torture of braces), has a wide array of other uses. I've used dental floss to hold my glasses together long enough for me to get a set of screws for them. It's served as a fairly reliable emergency nocking-point on my bowstring when my brass nocking-point fell off. It's also done a very good job of holding my cat-whisker silencers in place, in fact, it's done a better job than the strand of Dynaflight 97 or B-50 Dacron recommended by most other archers. I've even used dental floss to secure my writing instruments to me and to even measure my draw length when I didn't have a meter stick or tape measure on me at that moment. Dental floss is also great for improvised tea bags when I have loose leaf tea and bags but no way to secure the bags to keep all the leaves from coming out.

And then there's super-glue. Besides the obvious thing of sticking things together, it also serves as a very nice sealant. On a few occasions, I've used super-glue to fill in gaps between various parts of my arrows to keep things secure. I've yet to have any fletching fall off my arrows (scraped off is a whole different boat) and I've broken many nocks but never had one fall off an arrow where I sealed that gap between the shaft and the nock. Most of the nocks I've lost were on my Carbon Express arrows (which I leave un-glued at the nocks so I can fine-tune the arrow and experiment with the orientation of the fletching) or not secured with a nice, thin film of super-glue in that little gap.

Where would the world be without dental floss and super-glue?

No comments: