Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Almond Flour-Jalapeno Bread

I had a hankering for bread. A really bad one for something like cornbread but I'm watching my carbohydrate intake closely and I don't handle a lot of artificial ingredients particularly well.  There's also a lot of "natural" ingredients I try to avoid as well, especially soy. Sure, this is pretty calorie-rich but it also doesn't take much to satisfy me and there's some pretty nutrient-dense stuff in there. It takes maybe about 1/2 of a serving compared to the "normal" stuff to satisfy me and actually make me feel nice and full thanks to the combination of fiber and protein.

Ingredients:
-- 2 cups of almond flour
-- 2 tsp baking power
-- 4-5 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled (preferably from pastured hogs)
-- 1/4 cup sliced, pickled jalapenos (drained) or 1/4 candied jalapenos for a more dessert/breakfast bread
-- 2 tsp salt
-- 2/3 cup softened butter (preferably pastured, cultured butter)
-- 6 eggs (preferably pastured)

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13x9 baking pan.

Mix the almond flour with the butter until the lumps are are about pea-sized. Add the salt, baking powder, eggs, bacon, and jalapenos and mix thoroughly.  Pour into the greased baking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden-brown. 

No comments: