Monday, June 08, 2009

900 Round

No pictures this time -- camera seems to have gone on strike on me. I shot a 526/900, which according to everyone else, is a pretty strong score for me shooting a longbow with hunting arrows. The Olympic barebow shooters were in the mid 600s and the highest score in the whole shoot was 870-something. My best round was at the 40 yards, where nearly all of my arrows were in the gold except for one flyer (the 1st arrow out of 6 of that round). That round, I had 55/60 and the arrows scored as follows: X, X, 10, 9, 9, and 7, where X is a 10 in the X. That's better than some of my compound (with full field setup) rounds at 40 yards! I think I also made some compound and Olympic shooters rethink their opinions about longbows in these types of shoots, at least one compound shooter in my group couldn't believe that I pulled that off. I had some trouble re-calibrating myself at 60 and 50 yards, leading me to a total of 5 non-scoring shots (out of 90), but once I figured out what my gap was, it was (usually) smooth sailing. All in all, it was a real blast!

Now if I can only convince my fellow traditional shooters to come to some of these shoots with me! At least I've got some friends shooting their Olympic recurves with nothing on them to keep me company!

No comments: