Sunday, August 05, 2007

TBoF 2007 Fall Rendezvous

There's nothing quite like the feeling of shooting 3D with a traditional bow. It's such a thrilling experience for me, stepping up to the stake in the bushes and shrubbery, seeing that realistic critter and then shooting it. It's even more thrilling when that arrow flies straight and true from my bow and strikes it through the heart and lungs, had it been flesh and blood. I didn't realize how much my performance got affected by stress until this weekend because I had just finished doing my part of a grant proposal and printed a poster that I'll be presenting at a big conference and I didn't have anything hanging over my head. I took 4th place and got a total score of 330/600 -- I don't remember the exact score for the winner, but I knew the person right ahead of me got 360. I was very pleasantly surprised when I got my card this morning for the championship round and saw that I got grouped with the huge fish in my division instead of my usual bottom-of-the-pack group. It was a blast shooting with this group today -- lots of humor (mostly potty jokes) and very little pressure (well, unless you count that one target with the "ick" behind it). Now that I know I am capable of keeping up with some of the top shooters in the area, I feel a whole lot better knowing that when I'm on with the right arrows and completely relaxed (ie, nothing to worry about), I can do some serious butt-kicking.


Figure: Shootin' my trusty little Chek-Mate


Figure: He's further than he looks! I was the only one who hit him at all and he would've been limping around and furious.


Figure: The little coyote that nobody hit. How embarrassing!


Figure: Partial group picture. We lost a few members of our group somewhere. Did they get eaten by bears or hungry bow-hunters?


Figure:Trick-shot through the trash can and to the critter behind it. I think I abused that poor trash can a bit too much. Thank goodness this one didn't count to my final score!


Figure: Top 3 in women's longbow.


Figure: Top 3 in women's recurve.

No comments: