Thursday, July 14, 2005

Reflection on Archery

So... in the weeks since the end of what I can only refer to as the quarter of death... I've become re-acquainted with an old hobby I had to put aside in the name of academics... namely archery.

There's just something about archery that not only relaxes me, but brings me back to life after months of sitting behind the computer and/or working on math problems no human should ever have to do by hand. It's very controlled, yet liberating at the same time. On one hand, I have to keep everything still, but once I let the arrow fly, there's an instant where I can see myself flying with that arrow. Granted, I can probably hit the haystack about 75% of the time from 30 meters and about 95% of the time from 15 meters, but my accuracy can only get better with practice and focus Archery also made me realize why I chose to become an ecologist instead of an engineer or chemist -- for all my complaining, dislike of hot weather, and love for cold, dark places, there's something about being outdoors in the fading sun (when I usually go) that wakes up another part of me. I can't quite explain it yet... just that I need my time outdoors periodically to function...

On a slightly lighter note, here's a few words of wisdom for any aspiring archers from experience:

1) Get arrows that stand out as strongly as possible against the ground/vegetation to minimize time in searching for arrows go way off the target

2) Pick a site that doesn't have poison oak anywhere near it -- Once, I was shooting and I picked a relatively shaded spot and one of my arrows landed in a patch of poison oak. Let's just say I decided that it would be cheaper for me to replace the arrow than for me to get poison oak treatment.

3) An arm guard or long sleeved shirt is highly recommended -- that bow string really hurts and even if you have scrawny arms like mine, it still hits hard when you let the arrow loose!

Ok... I'm getting hit with wanderlust again, so I might post more later on after I get it out of my system

No comments: